Applying Subject Vocabulary
Students will choose (or be assigned) and define 3 - 5 new vocabulary words from a recent unit (Social Studies, Math, etc.). Then, they will use the words in something they write (whether it be creative, informational, argumentative, and so on) to demonstrate a real world understanding of the terms. Students will then publish their writing to an appropriate Group.
- I can define and use vocabulary words to demonstrate a real world understanding of them.
- I can publish my Post to an appropriate Group.
- Only the words they’ll be defining!
- One to one devices
- Vocabulary words
- Individual student posts
- Part One: Choose and Define Words
- Have students choose 3 - 5 words (or more if you want) from a recent or upcoming unit. You can also assign certain words if you’d prefer. Then, have the students define the words (either in a notebook or in the “Description” section of their Post).
- Part Two: Using the Words in Context
- Once students have defined their words, have them write something that uses the words in context. They can create a Post from scratch or browse the Ideas and Galleries.
- Part Three: Publish
- Once students have finished writing, have them publish their Post to an appropriate Group (they’ve got to join it first).
- Have students add audio to their Posts.
- Students can comment on the Posts of their classmates.
- Use the Description area when creating an Idea to provide step-by-step instructions or links to instructional references (ie skill videos, visual aids, etc).
- Use the audio tool to record instructions when creating an Idea. You can read the Idea and Idea Description text out loud so students can listen and replay them as needed.
- Modify the lesson to include small groups and be sure to follow provided personalized accommodations based upon any student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
Please sign in to leave a comment.